New Minors at CSUSM: Geography and Border Studies

By Devonne Edora

Thumbnail photo: boston.com

Top Photo: nighthikers.com

The California State University San Marcos (CSUSM) College of Arts and Sciences, has broadened the selection of their course offerings, and have introduced two brand new minors, Border Studies and Geography, to their academic curriculum.

Academic Programs announced that minors in Border Studies and Geography were administered approval to the curriculum at the Department of Liberal Studies by CSUSM’s Academic Senate.

Starting Fall Semester, the minors are now available for students.

According to CSUSM’s Communications Department, a Border Studies Minor will offer students an “interdisciplinary opportunity to explore communities and territories which emerge in border regions worldwide and examine the human interactions that shape and are shaped by borders that divide people and places.” Students must complete 18 units of credit with a grade of C and above. Classes that will complete the requirement are, GEOG 201 or 302, BRS 300, 301, 400. Select two courses of upper-division electives from the following: BRS 330, 364, 430, 453 or GEOG 320, 341, 460, LING 305 and either GEOG 305 or GEOG 305S (cannot take both) A completion of a minor in Border Studies is not available to students majoring in Liberal Studies-Border Studies Option. For further inquiries, contact Vivienne Bennett Professor, Border Studies Chair, and Liberal Studies Department at [email protected]. To make an appointment with a faculty advisor, email [email protected].

Students interested in the Geography minor can come to expect out of these courses are the “use [of] graphic knowledge and understanding to explore the issues and themes related to social justice, the environment, globalization, and global change.” Having a minor in Geography is advantageous for an array of careers, such as “business, education, environmental management, international and community development, and government.” Courses that fulfill the Geography minor are ES 100, GEOG 201 or 302. Students must choose 4 Upper-Division core courses from either BRS: 300, 330, 364, 453, GEOG: 320, 340A, 340B, 340C, 340D, 340E, 340F, 340G, 341, 460, ID 340, LBST 307, and GEOG 305 or 305S (cannot take both) A total of Eighteen (18) units of credit must be completed with a grade of C (2.0) or higher. For more detailed course descriptions, those can be found in CSUSM’s 2010-2012 General catalog available online http://www.csusm.edu/academics/catalog/.

Cal State San Marcos students seeking further information about Border Studies or Geography may contact the CSUSM Department of Liberal Studies at (760) 750-4104 or visit www.csusm.edu/liberalstudies/index.html.