Competition heats up for Oscar nominees

Oscar+statuette
Will “Argo” or “Lincoln” end up winnning the most Academy Awards this year?

By Juliana Stumpp

A&E Editor

On Jan. 10, the nominations for the 2013 Academy Awards were announced, with Steven Spielberg’s “Lincoln” leading the other contenders with 12 nominations, including Daniel Day Lewis for best actor, Sally Field for best supporting actress, Steven Spielberg for best director and more.

The critically acclaimed movie “Argo” picked up several nominations but its director, Ben Affleck — who was widely expected to earn a nomination — was snubbed by the Academy. In his third directorial effort, Affleck presents the true-life story of a secret operation during 1980Iran. Affleck was honored by the Hollywood Foreign Association at the Golden Globes Jan. 13, taking home two awards for best picture-drama and best director.

“Zero Dark Thirty” was noninated for Best Picture and its star Jessica Chastain, for Best Actress. Chastain plays a determined CIA officer assigned to search for Osama Bin Laden in Pakistan based on her expertise about al-Qaeda. Kathryn Bigelow, who directed the 2010 Best Picture winner “The Hurt Locker” and earned a Best Director trophy for that film was also snubbed in the Best Director category this year.

Hugh Jackman and Anne Hathaway were nominated for Best Actor and Best Supporting Actress, respectively, on behalf of their stunning performances in the musical film “Les Miserables.” Both won for the same categories during the Golden Globes, and the film won in the category of Best Picture – Comedy or Musical.

The past year was filled with many impressive movies that it is hard to say what movie will take home the Oscar. To view the full list of nominees visit oscar.go.com