CSUSM students sound off on new unit cap

Students registering for classes this spring have to contend with a unit cap.

By Juliana Stumpp

Over our much-needed winter break, a new process for class registration took place. In late November and early December last semester, the new class registration process restricted you to a limit of 13 units until Dec. 17th, at which time you were able to add more classes if need be.

Here are some of the students’ opinions on this new change in our registration system:

Pat Tang, biology major:

“Getting classes wasn’t too difficult since I got priority registration because of my class standing. Despite the slight advantage, the unit cap made it so that it wasn’t possible for me to get all my classes, thus I had to strategically pick the classes that I knew would fill up fast.”

Javier Enriquez:

“The only concerns I have noticed are having to take less four-unit classes to make sure you have enough cap to be a full-time student.”

Viv Nguyen, biology major:
“I reckon the people who will be affected the most and worst by the unit cap are those who are graduating seniors. Though I am not one of them, I can sympathize. There are some benefits to the unit cap. It allows students with lower priority to get some classes, even if it does hinder other’s chances.”

Jordan Hays, business major:
“The unit cap sucked. I couldn’t wait list enough classes so now I’m stuck with only 12 units.”

Savannah Shick, business major:
“To be honest, I already had a late priority registration date the day before priority registration ended. So, I was already freaking out about getting all my classes. I was not very fond about the unit cap benefitting me personally because I’m still on the wait list for 2 out of 5 my classes.”

Austin Hoover, biology/physiology major:
“Well the unit cap definitely made me prioritize and choose classes based on importance instead of kinda adding a bunch of classes and loading up. I focused more on important classes and it helped me set my priorities. It was kind of beneficial.”

Jenica Caruso, communications major:
“My main concern was that I could only sign up for four classes but there was a chance that I needed five due to a concern with a class that’s was unsure if I was going to pass. I was also not too crazy about the classes that were available. I was looking through my course catalog at all these classes for my major and hardly any of them were offered. I had already taken most of the classes offered so it was difficult to plan a schedule with the few choices I had left.”

Hunter Chanove, communications major:
“It’s not right for all of us to have to wait for everyone to pick their classes and then pick again later. It should be done on a first come first serve basis. What is the point of priority registration if we are going to be capped off at 13? If I’m paying for all these classes I want to be able to pick as many as I want.”

Zach Wilson, business major:
“I guess the only concerns I came across was whether or not the classes I needed/wanted were full. Also, there was a concern with the timing of my classes, and whether or not the class I wanted would interfere with the rest of my schedule for this semester.”

Deana Cheetham, mass media major:
“It wasn’t beneficial because it keeps students from graduating earlier.”

Andrew Reed, VPA major:
“I had to select classes strategically and sign up for the more in demand ones first. I then left the others in my shopping cart hoping they wouldn’t fill up before the cap was listed.”