Gov. Brown proposes new budget in support of CSU

California Gov. Jerry Brown has rescinded some of the tuition hikes facing CSU students in 2013.

By Melissa Martinez

News Editor

Last fall, Governor Jerry Brown gained the support of California State University students with his new budget proposals aimed at keeping tuition from increasing. With the success of Prop. 30, some CSU students received a reimbursement of $249, or 9 percent of the amount that tuition was raised in fall 2012.

With the start of the new year, Gov. Brown released his 2013-2014 proposal for the state budget, including $125.1 million in funding towards the CSU system.

Gov. Brown stated that $10 million of the proposed budget will benefit students for advancing through their degree program without having to deal with “bottleneck” courses, which often causes the students degree progress to be extended longer than anticipated because they are waiting for a particular lower division classes or prerequisite for their major.

Gov. Brown’s support for the CSU system is needed, since it has continuously lost financial support over the last several years. According to a press release of CSU Public Affairs, the CSU has lost more than 30 percent of state funding.

CSU Chancellor Timothy P. White has stated, “We appreciate the Governor’s recognition thatCalifornia will benefit from the investment of state funds into higher education. The proposed budget heads us in the right direction. It will allow the CSU to address the unprecedented demand for high quality education at our institutions, as well as areas of critical need. We still face many fiscal challenges and will continue efforts to operate efficiently and effectively, and seek out additional innovative ways to control costs.”