Jumping Turtle is a jumping place for bands

The Jumping Turtle Nightclub in San Marcos is a great place to watch bands.

By Alison Seagle

Anyone looking for a dive bar serving up more than just your usual bowl of nuts should check out the delicious deals The Jumping Turtle has to offer.

Located on Capalina Road, right off the Rancho Santa Fe exit of the 78, The Jumping Turtle is just a hop, skip and jump away for students looking for either a quick bite for lunch or a place to grab a beer and listen to some bands jam out.

The Jumping Turtle offers daily food specials, including: slider Mondays, taco Tuesdays, meatball Wednesdays, hot wing Thursdays, pizza Fridays, burger Saturdays and fajita Sundays. The food is not prepared frozen but made fresh in the kitchen. They make their own chips for the nachos, and the salads are huge. The bar also has a few drink specials, with a rotating selection of microbrew beers and liquors that change depending on seasonal availability and popularity.

The Jumping Turtle serves up a wide selection of shows as well, including rock, pop, metal, reggae and comedy. Most shows start around 8 or 9 p.m., and tickets are usually $5 or $10. An hour prior to a show is when The Turtle starts to get “jumping.”

They even feature Rock Band Night on Sundays, and have several big screen TVs to catch a game. There are also two pool tables located next to the dance floor and stage.

Most shows are 21 or older, but there is a calendar on the Jumping Turtle’s website, http://thejumpingturtle.com/enhancedCalendar.cfm,  available to see performance details and daily specials.