The top movies for singles on Valentine’s Day

By The Cougar Chronicle Staff

“How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days” (2003)
This romantic comedy is centered on the premise of a bet. Matthew McConaughey and Kate Hudson’s characters develop a romance, unknown to either that the other has ulterior motives. He bets that he can make a woman fall in love with him while she bets that she can make a man break up with her, all in less than ten days. While this film does have a love tint to it, it still is a welcome change from the stereotypical film about a girl pursuing romance with guy.
-Katlin Sweeny

“Casino Royale” (2006)
This one is mainly for the guys. Nothing makes you feel better about being single than watching someone enjoy it as much as James Bond. Don’t worry, it is still a romance film (its one of the only films where he falls in love), but in the end he learns some important lessons about trust in yourself and in loved ones. Along the way, he shoots a lot of bad guys.
-Ryan Downs

“For a Good Time Call” (2012)
There is no shame in being single on Valentine’s Day, like there is no shame in having an unplanned phone sex line right in your living room. Lauren Miller and Ari Graynor play two sworn college enemies that are set up by their mutual friend (played by Justin Long) to become roommates despite their differences. This film is a comedy about friendship and living life to its most random fullest. Guys, do not fret, a very special cameo with Seth Rogen will have you falling off your seats laughing.
-Juliana Stumpp

“My Big Fat Greek Wedding”
This hysterical comedy follows Toula (played by Nia Vardalos) a common single woman trying to find love. She is part of a large Greek family working for her father’s Greek restaurant. Awkward and longing to find her true love when she decides to make some life changes leading her to find her man.
-Jessie Gambrell

“The Other Guys”
After two legendary officers unexpectedly jump to their death, an angry officer determined to regain his respectable reputation (played by Mark Wahlberg) and his slow-witted partner (played by Will Ferrel) attempt to take their place in victory. Taking on a case they were advised not to investigate, the film chronicles their adventures trying to solve the case before their colleagues. The film incorporates comedy, drama and even a bit of love, a perfect combination for a romantic night in.
-Melissa Martinez