Athlete Spotlight: Baseball standout Terrence Buchanan

Copgars pitcher Terrence Buchanan.

By Katlin Sweeney

Features Editor

Senior Terrence Buchanan combines two crucial elements when he plays baseball: heart and dedication. The talented baseball player is looking forward to continuing his career at CSUSM this year and seeing his team have a successful season.

Question: When did you start playing baseball?

Answer: I began playing tee ball when I was 5 years old.

Q: Do you currently or have you played any other sports?

A: No baseball is the only sport I play, it’s the only sport I’m so passionate about.

Q: How has your experience been on CSUSM’s team?

A: It’s been fantastic for only being part of the squad for a semester so far. We have a great coaching staff and a talented group on the field.

Q: In what ways do you think you have improved?

A: Coach Clements has brought a whole new approach to my attention with fine focus and details that I probably wouldn’t have even thought about before. He teaches in a way [that] allows you to simplify the game.

Q: What are some of your goals for this season?

A: I’m actually undergoing season ending surgery on my throwing shoulder. But I still plan on supporting my team from the dugout and passing on all my knowledge to the younger guys who I will be playing on the field with next year.

Q: What is your favorite thing about baseball?

A: It’s a thinking man’s game; it’s the only sport that the defense has control of the tempo. Plus the length of a normal baseball season give you plenty of opportunities to redeem yourself since a successful baseball player only gets 3 hits out of every 10 at bats.

Q: Who has motivated you the most in your career?

A: My head coach from high school. He was the first person to plant the idea in my head that I can play at a collegiate and professional level. That year the Kansas City Royals in the Major League Draft took me in the 48th round in 2008. I chose to go to school and get an education with a little guidance from Coach Giaime.

Q: Do you see baseball as part of your future after college?

A: I definitely do see baseball in my future. I still talk with Major League scouts along with having some ties with scouts in Japanese Professional Baseball as well. If neither of these routes work out in my favor I plan on coaching high school baseball at Del Norte High School in San Diego.

Q: What is the best advice you have ever received from a coach/parent/etc?

A: Coach Giaime said something to me when [I was a] junior in high school as I sat at his dinner table in his home. “Do the right thing when no one’s watching, [it’s the] mark of good character.”