How do you feel on Valentine’s Day? It depends on where you’re at in life and love

How you feel on Valentine’s Day may be affected by whether you’re in a relationship or not.

By Keandre Williams-Chambers

Surprisingly, it is that time of year again. Valentine’s Day has subtly taken us all by storm, and a great deal of us are at a loss for how to feel about this lovey-dovey celebration.

But what should we feel?

How many of us actually remember the history of Valentine’s Day? To be quite honest, I know very little other than speculation and what I’ve been told. Nonetheless, each and every description I’ve heard involves “love” to a degree, and is often more keen on romantic love.

Doing a broad online search, I’ve discovered tidbits of information. There are many claims that the day is a celebration of Saint Valentine, patron saint of love, young people and happy marriages whose feast day is on Feb. 14. Some say that it involves a pre-Roman fertility festival that encompassed three days, taking place for the purging of evil spirits and deeds through sacrifice and blessings.  Others involve theories of its fabrication into the capital world to ensure economic strength in an otherwise “dry spell” of holidays.

What really gets me is the general agitation and apathy that is felt towards Valentine’s Day in the modern day and age. People regard it with disdain when they are without one to call their own, or with anxiety when romantically involved with another. There is stress all around, brought on by the almost unreal expectations.

Let’s be honest. For those of you who have a significant other, you may say that this day is not all that important, but this day has some amount of observance simply in the essence it gives off. It’s the so-called day of love, so of course some people expect at least some opportunistic displays of love on this day. And I can imagine there is a good amount of disappointment when or if it doesn’t happen.

As for all the happily single people, and those who profess this day to be “Singles Awareness Day,” I think the resentment has something to do with it. I mean, come on. Whose day wouldn’t be considerably brightened by some sudden and unprovoked proclamation of love on a momentous day? I can honestly say my world would tilt on its axis if that happened to me.

I stand in my belief that this is simply a slightly more special day because of the heavy emotional overtones everywhere. I can’t ignore it; it’s quite impossible. I can imagine that many times throughout the day, I’ll be greeted by unrealistically-shaped cardio organs, sickening shades of pink and red and people being, as I said, lovey-dovey all over the place. Ah, how…lovely.

That being said, Valentine’s Day is a day in recognition by many people across the country and, furthermore, around the world. I can’t deny its existence, and have little reason to be at odds against it for anything other than my own personal reasons. But I’ve yet to decide whether I want to bah-humbug it out or play Cupid for a day. Decisions, decisions.