ASI goal is to create positive campus experience

By Melissa Martinez

News Editor
Whether students are just beginning their academic career at CSUSM or are ready to check into their furthering education, it is never too late to become involved on campus. Associated Students, Inc. (ASI), student government on campus, aims to empower students, giving them a voice on campus as well as providing student advocates.
Along with their mission statement of “Serves, Engages and Empowers Students,” ASI offers core values in promoting advocacy, communication, diversity, efficiency, social justice, visionary and unity throughout campus. ASI also works through the Gender Equity Center which values feminism and creativity and  The LGBTQA Pride Center, providing a community of support and mentorship for LGBTQA students, staff, faculty and allies.
The Campus Activity Board (CAB) aims at providing school spirit through campus-wide events geared to creating an inclusive community through students. Cultural Events Specialist for CAB Kat Atienza was inspired to join ASI from her high school experience being involved in ASB.
“I’ve been a member of ASI CAB for two years now and it has helped me grow so much. From my organization skills to communication skills to planning events,” said Atienza. “Importantly, all the training that comes along with being a member of ASI helped me understand more about Social Justice and the need for it on this campus. Being in ASI helped me become a better advocate for students. I want their voices to be heard.”

ASI’s goals for this semester are to continue empowering students and be advocates. In promoting events as well as social justice (an important piece in creating an inclusive campus) ASI sheds a positive light on campus.

Along with many events throughout the semester, ASI has a variety of socializing opportunities for students to enjoy. From free movie nights and U-Hour events to the highly attended Undie Run, ASI aims at engaging students in socializing, networking and enjoying their time on campus.

“ASI advocates for students. We want students to be able to express their concerns or opinions. While promoting awareness of issues that this campus faces as well as providing different programming that benefits the students. The presence of ASI on this campus is essential and at the end of the day, we are here for the students,” said Atienza. “As an ASI CAB member, we hope that all the students enjoy and benefit from all the different programming we host on and off campus. Whether it is a social,cultural, issues, or a community service event. I hope CAB’s events shed a positive light on this campus for the students.”