BOOK REVIEW: ‘Sky Bound’ captivates readers

book+jacket

By Katlin Sweeney

Features Editor
Rating: 4 out of 5 Paws

For readers in search of unique characters and a fast-paced plot, “Sky Bound” is a science fiction novel that will maintain their interest from page to page.

Set in an alternative realm where the Earth is divided into three separate kingdoms, “Sky Bound” follows the journey of 15-year-old Sam Cutter. Living in one of the kingdoms that is ruled by a tyrant, Cutter dreams of escaping to the Sky Nation. He begins to question everything he has ever known and decides to make a drastic decision: to leave his oppressive homeland in favor of a better life, embarking on a life-threatening journey that no one else has returned from.

Science fiction is often geared towards a very distinct audience. However, as a current high school senior, author James Morris has tremendous insight into what readers in their late teens and early 20s enjoy reading. “Sky Bound,” his first novel, started out as nothing more than a simple idea scribbled on an iPad. While the book was not inspired by specific people or from occurrences in his life, Morris does admit that many readers have seen parts of his personality in Sam Cutter.

“It took me about six months to write and six months to edit ‘Sky Bound.’ This is the first book in what will eventually become a trilogy. The second book in the trilogy will hopefully be done by this summer and I have already begun to outline my next series,” Morris said.

In addition to the publication of “Sky Bound,” Morris is also a successful musician amid a busy schedule. He has more than three studio albums, plays live shows on a regular basis and spends thousands of hours raising awareness to find missing people in the community. Writing, however, is not taking a back seat to his music career and charity work.

“I want to pursue both [music and writing] equally. I love both,” Morris said.

For more information on “Sky Bound,” Morris’ charity work and music, visit jamesmorris.com.