Restaurant Beat: Old California Coffee House a cafe with flair

By Ryan Downs

Of all the distinguished restaurants on San Marcos Blvd., few have more personality than the Old California Coffee House.

The quaint café is tucked away right next to the IHOP and offers some of the best atmosphere found on San Marcos’s very own Restaurant Row.

The Coffee House is primarily a more stylish alternative to Starbucks and any of the other more mundane cafes in the area. According to the website, approximately 100 different drinks are offered, including coffee, tea and smoothies.

Coffee, depending on size, usually goes from $1.60 for a small and $2 for a large, while the tea is generally under $2. Smoothies are around $4, and most of the Espressos cost around $3.25. There’s also a rich selection of food, perfect for any time of the day, including sandwiches and wraps, hot soup, salads and even pizza.

What truly sets The Coffee House apart from other cafes is the quirky atmosphere. The interior has a sort of French design, and every table, chair and sofa is different from the others. This, along with the free wireless Internet, gives the café a lounge feel.

There are also plenty of board and card games available in the restaurant for rent. At night, the restaurant often books bands to play for dinner guests, such as the Bi-Polar Bears, a rock band set to play at 7 p.m. on Feb. 23.

Over the course of its thirty years in existence, the restaurant has won a litany of awards, including the San Diego A-List for 2011 and 2012, and was named “the best coffee shop in San Diego” according to 10news.com.

The Coffee House is located at 1080 W. San Marcos Blvd and is open from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. Sunday-Thursday and until 10 p.m. on Fridays and Saturdays.