Chancellor to tackle rising textbook prices

By Melissa Martinez

News Editor

Earlier in February, Chancellor Timothy P. White held a press conference from his office in Long Beach, where students had the opportunity to voice their questions and concerns for future changes in the CSU system.

On Feb. 6, many of the topics discussed were policy issues for the CSU — such as the current CSU budget, online education (something that White has advocated for) and the quality of education one expects to obtain while attending a CSU.

Along with last fall’s reimbursement of 9 percent of the fall 2012 tuition increase some students were awarded, Chancellor White is advocating to save money for students such as taking advantage of resources like CSU Rent Digital.

Students throughout the CSU last fall took advantage of the 60 percent or more discounts they received from renting though CSU Rent Digital than competitive other rental websites. As the cost of tuition continues to rise, so does the cost for textbooks. CSU Rent Digital is one of the many aspects of Affordable Learning Solutions initiative, a program beginning in 2010, that aims in offering affordable course materials to students as well as greater access to lower cost academic material for faculty among the 23 CSU campuses.

CSU Rent Digital incorporated the partnership of CSU with Cengage Learning, Coursesmart® and Follett, which was announced in February 2012. It is a way for students to rent eTextbooks at lower prices in a system-wide digital textbook rental program to help relieve financial burden.

Since his replacement of Chancellor Reed, White has conveyed his passion for students and respecting the financial burden CSU students face while attempting to obtain their Bachelors and Masters degrees.

Chancellor White stated in the live-stream conference, “The people that have paid for this amazing system over the years are Californians and we owe a lot to make sure we meet their needs. This is the California State University and we should never lose track of that.”