Restaurant Review: Manila Harbor cuisine doesn’t disappoint

Manila Harbor restaurant

By Bobby Rivera

Looking to take a trip with great cuisine, people and culture? Whisk yourself away to the Philippines with a local eatery.

For those interested in affordable, tasty Filipino food, Manila Harbor will not disappoint. This is an ethnic restaurant that can take you away from your studies or work. We may not be the Anthony Bourdain of food review, but you can take yourself to different countries around our globe with a simple walk into a local restaurant. Today, we go only a few minutes from our campus to the Philippines by heading to Manila Harbor in San Marcos.

If you’re looking for gourmet food and you’re faint of heart, this may not be your place. Yet if it interests you to find affordable, traditional and tasty Filipino food, then Manila Harbor might be for you.

Filipino cuisine can be described as a fusion of Spanish and Chinese cultures. Ideal for food lovers that enjoy ethnic food, Manila Harbor is a restaurant that can satisfy not only your hunger but give you a taste of global atmosphere. The restaurant is filled with the smiles of satisfied customers and an aroma of Filipino flavors, and is decorated with pictures of the island.

Filipinos are known for a great sense of community, and you can witness that as you see locals conversing and as they rummage through food items in a small market area inside of the restaurant. You can learn what spices they share in preparing their favorite Filipino dishes.

Some of Manila Harbor’s most notable dishes include chicken, pork, fish and beef.  The prices of menu items range from $3.99 (1 item) to $5.99 (2 items).  All combo orders come with white rice or pancit (noodles), and all portion sizes are large enough to fill you up.

Items such as chicken, pork adobo (light soy sauce flavored) and lumpia, which is similar to a smaller egg roll, fill the menu. You can also choose from about 12 items they cook daily that are showcased in front of you which are part of the combo selection. We recommend menudo, a stew-like dish with pork, potatoes and carrots. Another great item is Daing Bangus, which is marinated milkfish and is very tasty.

Manila Harbor equals great food and an even better experience. It gets the thumbs up for cost, taste, locale being within a few miles from the main campus and an atmosphere of being in the Philippines. It is recommended for your pocketbook and satisfies your food hunger with their large portions and favorable cuisine. Tayo’y magsikain!

Manila Harbor is open every day from 9:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. It is located at 844 W. San Marcos Blvd. San Marcos, CA 92078, and can be reached at 760-591-9551.