Local Boys & Girls club seeking student volunteers

By Karla Reyes

The Boys & Girls Club of San Marcos is one place that enthusiastically provides opportunities for college students to enrich their personal life and make their resume more competitive.

The Boys & Girls Club of San Marcos is next to the city’s Corky Smith Gymnasium, located about a mile and a half from campus. They offer a place for young kids to go after school, making visits fun by setting up activities, tutoring and occasional field trips during the summer.

“I love working there. I’m in the mentoring programs so it gives me the opportunity to meet people, bond and give advice to teens,” Janet Diaz said, a current Boys & Girls Club volunteer and CSUSM student. “I’ve learned about the struggles that teens go through in high school, whether it’s at home or at school. Sometimes I can relate because I have already been through that ‘high school’ stage.”

The Boys & Girls Club’s mission is to help diverse youth from 6 to 18 years of age develop the qualities required to reach their full potential and become responsible citizens and leaders.

“If you like the satisfaction of knowing that you’re helping someone out just by listening and giving respectable feedback-advice go for it,” Diaz said. If you are interested in volunteering, you can stop by The Boys & Girls Club of San Marcos and ask for an application. A background check, drug test and fingerprint scan is required for volunteering positions.

The Boys & Girls Club of San Marcos is located at 1 Positive Pl. San Marcos, CA 92069, and can be contacted at (760) 471-2490.