Students react to religious group on campus

A student takes on a member of Campus Ministry USA in a confrontation March 12 in the Library Plaza.

Campus Ministry USA condemns students to hell

By Morgan Hall

Co Editor-in-Chief

Tattoos, marijuana, sin and prostitution were the targets of a group of fiery preachers who were at the center of a public debate in the CSUSM free speech zone on March 12.

During U-Hour and in the late afternoon, members of Campus Ministry USA drew a crowd of about 100  students and onlookers, who stopped to listen  — and in some cases protest —-  the information that was being shouted at the students walking by.

“You are all going to hell!” shouted Sister Cindy ,of the Christian-based group, at  several students walking across Library Plaza.

While some students just kept walking, and some chose to remain silent and watch the events unfold, others felt the need to shout back.

“You’re f***ing nuts,” shouted one onlooker at the preaching members.

“You don’t know me,” shouted another.

This event was different than most past interactions between Campus Ministry USA and CSUSM students because students actively engaged and responded to the event.

“This is ridiculous. I understand freedom of speech, but everyone is just making fun of them and no one takes them seriously, “ said student Erika Chatfield.

The group was at the Library Plaza, which is designated as a “free speech zone” on campus. In these zones, any group is allowed to gather, speak freely and share information.

When asked about the ministry’s goal at CSUSM, Sister Pat said the group sees reaching students on campus as a great opportunity.

“Our goal is for Christianity to be the main topic on this campus, and a main way to make that happen is the use of technology,” said Sister Pat.  “All of the people taking pictures or recording us are just spreading our message faster and doing the work for us.”

Calls back and forth between both groups were heard from across campus, encouraging and attracting students to watch and skip classes in favor of the event. The interaction escalated to the point where a professor from an adjacent lower level classroom of University Hall halted his class and came outside to ask everyone to quiet down.

“[It’s] kind of a funny interaction, [they’re] just talking to anyone who will listen,” student Alexander Jones said.

When a ministry member pointed out one female CSUSM student with tattoos as “someone who doesn’t respect her own body,” a passing student felt compelled to defend her fellow student and turn the tables on the preachers.

Michelle Pierce, a new member of the CSUSM Priority Christian Challenge group, asked: “Where in the bible does it say you can’t have tattoos?”

Being tattooed herself, she decided to question the Campus Ministry visitors further and offered them non-evasive suggestions and challenging questions.

“[They] should show [students] the light rather then shaming them,” said Pierce.  She suggested that they should be open and inviting to students, and suggested a open bible study in the plaza.

While some students stood up for what they believed and others thought it humorous to encourage the back and forth banter, others did not find it quite as funny.

“I didn’t realize how students are really immature,” Barrett Adams said, in reference to those who were “egging on” the banter and using profanity to do so.