BOOK REVIEW: Taking a fresh look at ‘The Good Earth’

By Jessie Gambrell

This classic novel of a compelling story placed in turn-of-the-century China will plunge you into the very pages of the book. You will practically be able to live the life of the poor Chinese farmer Wang Lung.

“The Good Earth” was Pearl S. Buck’s second classic novel and it won a Pulitzer Prize in 1932. Having grown up in China with her missionary parents, Buck grew accustom to the culture and was immersed in the history of ancient China. This gave her the inspiration to write one of the most compelling and heart-wrenching historical fiction novels of all time.

The idea of a poor Chinese farmer during the twentieth century seems simple enough, but the way Pearl S. Buck writes makes you feel as though Wang Lung’s story is the most important story you will read about China.

In the story, Wang Lung inherits his father’s land and consequently the charge of the rice crops he now owns. He is married to a young slave woman, O-Lan, who is to bear his children, hopefully bringing about many sons for the honor of his family name. The story takes you through the turmoil’s and emotions of Wang Lung and his family during the time of rising opium addicts and political changes in the country.

Although Wang Lung had his ups and downs, he still showed his true character and his ability to survive the pitfalls of life. This book may have been published in 1931, but the plot of a man having to keep on going for the sake of his family, his family’s honor and the dignity of his land, is not much different than what many families are going through today.