Comic Book Corner: ‘Saga’ is something strange and wonderful

By Faith Orcino

Staff Cartoonist

“Saga” is the newest comic series to get into this spring break.

Released by Image Comics last year, writer Brian Vaughan and illustrator Fiona Staples created this story with the help of iconic letterer Fonografiks, who is also known as Steven Finch.

This “Saga” begins with the birth of the comic’s narrator, Hazel. Her parents, Alana and Marko, have been on the run from their planet’s government and will continue to run once they are reunited with Hazel. Alana is of the winged-folk, while her husband Marko is a horned magical being. Their races have been in a war for an indefinite amount of time and now both sides changed their focus to capturing the family. This intergalactic search gained the involvement of characters such as royal Prince Robot IV and a bounty hunter named The Will.

Staples’s art is visually stunning and the perfect manifestation for Vaughan’s writing. The characters’ facial expressions truly capture their emotions while the backgrounds and scenery transport readers into worlds they have never imagined before. A much-needed warning, it received a mature rating due to its graphic contents, including sex and violence, especially when they have a planet called Sextillion.  Still, this comic is worth your time and money.

The first six issues are in the volume one collection, available both in hardcover and trade paperback.  Volume two will be out in July, but if you want to grab the single issues, check your local vendor.  For more information of “Saga”, visit imagecomics.com.