Movie Review: ‘Spring Breakers’ turn Disney actresses into good girls gone bad

By Juliana Stumpp

A&E Editor

1/5 paws

It seemed with spring break quickly approaching, many college students would rush to the box office to see “Spring Breakers” and actually like it.

For months now, we have been seeing commercials and other forms of advertisement to get people to go see the movie that created a buzz regarding the actors involved.

Disney sweethearts Selena Gomez (“Wizards of Waverly Place”), Vanessa Hudgens (“High School Musical”), and Ashley Benson (“Pretty Little Liars”), shed their good girl appearances for this raunchy and wild film about spring break.

The plot focuses on Faith (Gomez), Candy (Hudgens), Brit (Benson) and Cotty (Rachel Korine), who are all college friends looking forward to a memorable spring break in Florida. However, they come across the problem of being a few hundred dollars short. Their solution, like every other college student, is to rob the customers of a local diner. The girls end up making it to Florida but are later arrested after some hard-core partying and intense drug use. After spending the night in jail, they are surprisingly bailed by a sketchy rapper named Alien, played by James Franco.

While the idea and trailers make the movie to be the first film in 2013 to be a Blockbuster hit, “Spring Breakers” fails to deliver any depth of the characters or obvious plot line. Within the first half hour, the problem regarding making it to Florida to celebrate their youth is quickly resolved. It’s apparent that many of the characters have serious mental problems such as Hudgen’s character constantly pretending to shoot others and putting guns to her head or mouth.

The main actresses make it apparent that they want to break out of the “Disney” mold and it reflects in their characters.

With a title like “Spring Breakers” audiences should expect nudity, underage alcohol consumption and drug use, but there is such a thing as too much. It’s safe to say that a good 30 minutes of the film shows nothing but girl’s breasts and skimpy bikinis, which could be basically the stereotypical male’s fantasy.