Community Champion: Dr. Laura de Ghetaldi inspires students, faculty

By Curtis Bovee

Health Writer

Dr. Laura de Ghetaldi’s relentless commitment to helping others, combined with her selfless demeanor, is truly changing the lives of many CSUSM students.

Dr. Laura is very involved on campus. She is a Civility Champion and the primary reason for the wonderful twice a month food distributions at Summit Church, which has helped feed so many in need. In addition, she also co-teaches the kinesiology internship course. Dr. Laura is always looking for more opportunities for her internship students. There aren’t many other programs that offer these kinds of opportunities, and she ensures that her students are taking advantage of it. Dr. Laura makes it her personal mission to give every student the opportunity to succeed.

Dr. Laura is unquestionably popular amongst her students and colleagues. As a graduating senior, I have witnessed first-hand the impact that Dr. Laura has on her students and the CSUSM faculty. Having developed a great relationship with her, she has become a mother to me in so many aspects of my life. I honestly cannot recall one thing she has done that wasn’t for someone else. It certainly isn’t everyday that you come across someone so special.

“What makes Dr. Laura so special is her selflessness, her eagerness to help others. Rather than acknowledging her own accomplishments, she acknowledges everyone else’s instead. She cares for all of her students as if they were her own, and that’s what I love about her. She’s our teacher, advisor, guru, mom, friend, support system and inspiration,” kinesiology major and Kinesiology Club president Junemy Pantig said.

Dr. Laura not only inspires others but also finds joy in what she does.

“Here is the thing, it is a selfish thing for me when I give to others. I think I always receive more than I give,” Dr. Laura said.

Dr. Laura embodies the spirit of giving in everything she does. Whatever you need her to be, she will try to be that for you. The world would be a much better place if Dr. Laura’s eagerness to help others existed in all of us.