Restaurant Beat: Dolce Italia delivers a taste of Italy

By Bobby Rivera

In one meal, we cross the Mediterranean Sea and go to the south part of Italy to Palermo, where romance and food go hand in hand.

Located across the street from San Marcos High School, Dolce Italia is hidden within the Vons shopping center. The restaurant has only been open for a few months and the line is already starting to get long for those wanting to have the favorable desserts that fill the restaurant.

When you walk inside, you immediately notice that Dolce Italia is filled with the smiles of customers who eat the various delectable food options. Italian music filled the background as many students from the high school walked in, ate and took a break from their daily routines.

All food items ranged in price from $5 to $6.50, except for the pizza that starts at $13. The owner, Salvo Amoroso, lived in Palermo and described how hundreds of bistros fill the city. She brought her business savvy attitude and teamed up with her family to have what may be San Marcos’ best-kept secret for Italian food and value.

Dolce Italia is also a great lunch or dinner option. The eggplant Panini sandwich, priced at $6.50, bursts with flavors. It is combined with a salad, making the sandwich one of the best value items on the menu. The eggplant spaghetti is also very flavorful, with a unique, colorful marinara sauce that is just as tasty. Dolce Italia also offers daily specials in the $6 price range.

What sets Dolce Italia apart from other restaurants is the Italian desserts that fill your senses with great taste, design and smell. The combination of fruits with custards and tarts and food entrees let you taste the cuisine of Italy. They also have Wi-Fi for all who dare to cross the diverse collection of desserts that fill the front display.

The city of Palermo is Greek for, “always fit for landing in.” Land yourself at Dolce Italia just once, and I bet you’ll be a regular.

Dolce Italia is located at 679 South Rancho Santa Fe Road, San Marcos, CA 92078. The phone number is 760-304-6939.

Buen Provecho; Bon Appetit

(If you have any recommendations for a restaurant, café, coffee shop, or bistro for review, let us know at The Cougar Chronicle. If the eatery is selected, you’ll win yourself a $25 gift certificate for Acapulco’s Restaurant in San Marcos.)