Sprinter train shutdown leaves students stranded, frustrated

By Jessie Gambrell

Opinion Editor

As many of you may be aware, on the Sprinter’s fifth anniversary of existence they shut it down for “two to four months” to repair the brakes. Many students take the Sprinter as a means of transportation to get to and from the university each day. If you yourself are not a Sprinter rider, I am sure that you know many people who do. Given the fact that about 400 CSUSM students a month ride the Sprinter every day to get to school according to the parking and commuter services. Now that it has shut down, CSUSM has had to provide bus support for those who would otherwise have no means of getting to campus.

“Having to take the bus every day to and from where the Sprinter would normally drop you off takes longer, since there are no certain times when it comes and goes,” Sprinter commuter student, Josefa Gregorio said. “Plus there are less seats on the bus than the Sprinter so you have to stand up. Since the buses use the freeways, there is more traffic and there is more potential for the bus to break down more often. My friend got stuck in that situation.”

Knowing how the state works, the claimed two to four months of repair will probably turn into six to eight months, which would really be an inconvenience to the students and the school. Now that we have seen the other side of the fence, we realize just how essential the Sprinter light rail way is to us and how desperately we need it back. Hopefully they can repair the breaks as soon as possible so that commuter transit can go back to normal before people get fed-up with the Sprinter system.

If you have any opinions on the Sprinter shutting down, please send them into [email protected] and we can put them on our website or our Facebook.