UPD investigations not as glamorous as TV, movies

Police chief headshot
New University Police Department Chief Robert McManus

By Ben Carlson

If a film or television show was to be made portraying the men and women of the CSUSM University Police Department, it likely would not contain many of the exciting elements seen in regular mainstream police dramas. In fact, it probably wouldn’t contain any of the less entertaining scenes from a regular episode of “COPS.”

Despite the pleasant nature of CSUSM, the UPD is on guard at all hours, maintaining a secure campus and keeping an eye on us students. It may not make for a dramatic television show, but that begs the question: which shows or films actually portray police officers in the most realistic way? Also, which cop movies or shows are, so to speak, police-approved?

Police Chief Robert G. McManus may be the best man to ask such questions. Besides being the UPD chief and holding a police resume stretching back decades, McManus majored in film at SDSU in the 70s. His eye for film and his lengthy experience as a peace-keeper makes him an ideal critic for police dramas.

When asked about police in film and television, Police Chief McManus mentioned the CBS drama “CSI.” After investigating a car that had been broken into, Chief McManus was asked by the driver, “Did you get the results?” The victim of the crime was referring to a false understanding of the police process, thinking that the men and women from “CSI” were busy investigating the crime.

“He thought we had a lab with Bunsen burners and scientists with microscopes,” joked the chief, referring to the victim. Unfortunately, there is no secret lab at the UPD with investigators trying to solve the mystery of a Prius break-in.

According to the chief, other films and television shows that absurdly portray police officers includes the film “The Departed,” the show and film “Starsky And Hutch” and “Hawaii 5-0.” So what of cop-approved shows?

Besides the wonderful show “COPS,” Chief Mcmanus recommended the film “End Of Watch,” starring Jake Gyllenhaal and Michael Peña. “The banter between officers as they drive around patrolling in the middle of the night, trying to keep each other awake and alert, it’s done pretty well in that movie.”

McManus’ recommendation should be considered. He knows film well and has a good eye. While working the SDSU campus as a young police officer, McManus recalls his job at multiple crime scenes, bragging “I took the best crime scene photos in the department.”