No. 11 baseball team bounces back with La Sierra sweep

By Alex Franco

Sports Editor

In the midst of a four-game losing skid, the 11th-ranked Cougars began the weekend with a four game stretch against visiting La Sierra University with hopes of ending their longest losing streak of the season.

In the April 5  doubleheader against La Sierra, CSUSM was able to sweep both games with ease as the Cougars scored in the double digits on both occasions, winning 11-1 and 13-3 with the help of Kenny Belzer who went 4-7 on the weekend with 3 RBIs and pitcher James Dykstra who improved to 8-1 on the season.

The Cougars were slated for a second set of games against La Sierra Sunon picked up right where they left on Friday racking up 7 runs on 12 total hits to put away La Sierra 7-2. Steve Messner turned in another strong performance for the Cougars, throwing six innings and only allowing two hits and runs while striking out six La Sierra hitters.

Brandon Bentson’s third inning single to left field which brought around two runs gave the Cougars the lead the needed to run away with the game taking a 4-2 lead. Brookes Noble added 2 more insurance runs in the seventh inning to secure the win for the Cougars.

Kenny Belzer took the mound in game two of Sunday’s double header and pitched 3.2 scoreless innings and struck out four before being relieved by Kyle Kuck who would pick up the win. The Cougars offense was jumpstarted by star of the game, Kody Sepulveda who went a pefect 4-4 in the game with 2 RBIs and a pair of doubles.

“I thought we played well, pitching was good, and we hit the ball very well” said Head Coach Dennis Pugh, “I can tell you, there isn’t much to complain about when you’re 26-6.”

The four game sweep of La Sierra this weekend now puts the Cougars at 26-6 going into what Coach Pugh says will be a tough next couple of weeks towards the end of the season with games against Azusa Pacific, Westmont, and Master’s College.