Writer unveils top 10 nearby discoveries

Photograph: jrhmy

By Kyle Coday

As a new writer for The Cougar Chronicle, I wanted to show the readers some discoveries I made during spring break from music, movies, TV shows, books, and even places to check out.

1. Woodkid’s “The Golden Age”

Yoann Lemoine (a.k.a. Woodkid) is a music video director that has worked with artists like Katy Perry, Lana del Rey, and Taylor Swift. “The Golden Age” is his first debut album that tells a story of a child transitioning into adulthood with a hypnotic voice and epic orchestrated music.

2. “Jurassic Park 3D”

Since James Cameron’s “Avatar” came out, 3D movies appear to be the new style of filming. Steven Spielberg has taken an old classic and revamps it into 3D motion picture where you feel the suspense of the T-Rex coming closer on that stormy night.

3. “Game of Thrones”; Season 3

Based on the books by George R.R. Martin, season 3 has broken the record of viewers with an average of 4.4 million on March 31.  If you are interested in the fantasy genre and medieval action, then stay at home on Sunday nights.

4. “Life of Pi”

After watching this film, this is one of my top favorite movies. Life of Pi, based on the book by Yann Martel, tells the story of a young, Indian boy stranded at sea with a tiger named Richard Parker. This movie has won four Academy Awards, including Best Director, Ang Lee.

5. “Fine China”

This song is the new single by Chris Brown that came out during spring break and will be on his new album “X” this summer. When you listen to this song, it feels a mix between Stevie Wonder and Michael Jackson which is not bad if you are a fan of the two.

6. Salsafama

Majority of students and friends that I know are commuter students. In the city of Temecula, I discovered a small Latin music club at a restaurant called Lienzo Charro. For $10, experience an hour and half class on how to salsa and bachata and all night dancing.

7. Weekend pass on Metrolink

Want to go to Los Angeles for only $10? Take the Metrolink train from Oceanside Transit Center to Los Angeles with the $10 weekend pass, includes Metro fare as well. Save your gas money and enjoy the sites of SoCal.

8. Gabriel Iglesias’ “Aloha Fluffy” TV special

“Aloha Fluffy” is Gabriel Iglesias’s new comedy stand-up show that aired on April 7. If you like the other two shows, you’ll definitely like this one.

9. Bombino “Nomad”

One of the ways to understand a culture is music. Bombino, a young guitarist from Niger, brings the mix of Jimi Hendrix’s guitar riffs with the traditions of his people, the nomadic Tuaregs.

10. “Mortal Instrument” book series

A book series that focuses on Clary Fray, a teenager who becomes part of the world of the Shadowhunters, half human, half angel, that fight against demons. The first book “City of Bones” has been adapted to a movie which will come out later this summer.