Roommate 101: Survival Guide

By Devonne Edora

Photos courtesy of Devonne Edora

Fall semester is kicking into high gear. Our college years have begun and many new and different experiences are yet to come. Do you live in the University Village Apartments (UVA) or off-campus housing? Then there is high chance that at some point you will be living with roommates. Having a roommate is a big responsibility, filled with challenges and disagreements. Yet it can also be a great and rewarding adventure. So listen up and take notes, Cougars. Next time “roomie” issues come up, remind yourself of these helpful tips.

#1 Communication is essential. Whether you’re living with friends or not, being able to talk and communicate openly provides an honest environment. Things can be great in the beginning, but can get ugly really fast. Make sure to address any issues right away. Roommates who reach a mutual understanding of each other’s needs are able to form better relationships. Brian Dawson, housing director at UVA, encourages students to “walk in each other’s shoes,” when people come to college. “All they know is what they’ve lived at home, so everyone has different routines.” Living with roommates isn’t easy, but try to be open-minded about each other to avoid any future conflicts.

#2 Figure out what is “clean.” Everyone grew up in various types of households. Having spilt oatmeal on the counter might be considered spotless to some, but filthy to others. Discuss with one another what “cleanliness” means to each person. Does the carpet need to be vacuumed once a week or once a month? If necessary, come up with a chore list. Just make sure everyone participates. Defining what cleanliness means will greatly reduce any problems and and Post-It notes saying, “Whose dishes are these?”

#3 Be considerate. Try to be aware of each other’s lifestyles and values. Coming to college places students in unfamiliar places, so being polite to others can go a long way. “People need to lower their expectations for what the other person is doing, and to raise their expectations for themselves,” advises Dawson. Chances are some roommates will be blaring Lil’ Wayne through paper-thin walls. Some will always bring guests over (especially when you’re studying). Some will be coming home at the wee hours of the morning, waking everyone up five hours earlier than they need to. No matter how irritating all that can be, have respect for your roommates. You need to be willing to listen and receptive to change. Figure out a policy on study schedules, noise levels, and privacy. In this way, it is helpful to see what everyone agrees on and eases the living situation. Handling these issues in an adult manner is a great skill that proves to be useful even beyond college.

Be patient and respectful to your roommates. Students should be stressing about 10 page papers, not unwashed dishes. Don’t expect to become best friends, but implementing these tips can at least open that up as a possibility.