‘The Office’ workmates turn in their mics

By Melissa Martinez

News Editor

In 2005, television viewers in the U.S. were introduced to “The Office,” a ‘mockumentary’ series based on the U.K. version of the same title. Fans of the series, which centralizes on the everyday lives of office employees at Dunder Mifflin-Sabre Paper Company, Inc., have ridden an impeccable, emotional roller-coaster as they witnessed characters transition through alluring situations in the office and in their personal lives.

The beloved Steve Carell, who played the “World’s Best Boss” Michael Scott, left the series in season seven, viewers were forced to witness the catastrophes that have followed Scott’s departure. With guest appearances of Will Ferrell, Ray Romano, Kathy Bates, Catherine Tate and recently the beloved Roseanne Barr, viewers aren’t quite sure where Dunder Mifflin-Sabre’s future is headed.

Though season 8 was particularly rough for the show, with the frustration added to employees when James Spader’s character as Robert California, new regional manager was introduced, season 9 picked up with comical scenes the audience is accustomed to. After Andy Bernard’s character (Ed Helms) is reunited with the regional manager’s position, the every day humor of working in the office is returned, much to the joy of viewers.

The past nine seasons have been memorable. Viewers have witnessed Michael Scott through heartache and heartbreak with various women, deal with racism in the office (though he was the cause of it most of the time) and transition from “friend” and menace to brilliant salesman, reminding the audience and employees the reason he was placed as regional manager for the Scranton branch. After leaving Dunder Mifflin temporarily and forming his own company (The Michael Scott Paper Company) in season five, Scott returned with gusto, ready to pulverize any and all of Dunder Mifflin’s competitors. Viewers have experienced possibly the most romantic, heartfelt development of a relationship through Pam Beesly (Jenna Fischer) and Jim Halpert (John Krasinski) as Pam leaves her emotionally abusive husband and settles into the arms of Jim, her best friend since the beginning of the series and the man who has patiently awaited her love and availability. And of course, we all remember the drama or “relationship” of Dwight K. Shrute (Rainn Wilson) and the hypocritical Christian, Angela Martin (Angela Kinsey) and watched her repeatedly cheat on then-fiancé Andy and marry a closeted-gay state senator, whom accountant Oscar Martinez (Oscar Nunez) is currently having an affair with. Though the lives of paper salesmen may seem standard, the employees are bonded together permanently from years of putting up with Scott and his adventures.

Though “The Office” is finishing their nine-season run strong, walking away with multiple awards and honors including four Primetime Emmy Awards, one of which was for Outstanding Comedy Series, the show hasn’t been the same since the departure of Carell (who earned a Golden Globe Award for Best Actor in a Television Series). However, Scott left for an appropriate reason– to marry the love of his life, Holly Flax (Amy Ryan).

Though viewers and myself have no idea what will happen to Dunder-Mifflin-Sabre Paper Company, Inc. in the next and final few episodes of “The Office,” or its employees (like whether Jim and Pam will get divorced), the audience that has followed the series for almost a decade will walk away with phenomenal memories of both the acting and entertainment “The Office” has provided for the past 9 years.

“The Office” airs Thursdays at 9 p.m. on NBC.