Comic Book Corner: ‘Five Ghosts’ a new twist on the classics

By Faith Orcino

Writer-artist team Frank J. Barbiere and Chris Mooneyham’s new comic series, “Five Ghosts,” hit shelves last month and is increasing in popularity. The series follows Fabian Gray, a treasure hunter with a strange condition. After being in contact with the mysterious Dreamstone, five literary icons now possess his body.  The spirits are of the wizard Merlin, detective Sherlock, hero Robin Hood, vampire Dracula and samurai Musashi. The predicament is a double-edged sword for the man.  While their abilities are available at his disposal, they fight over control for his body.

While Frank J. Barbiere works with both Image and Dark Horse comics, Chris Mooneyham is a new face in the industry.  Mooneyham’s art is very fitting and reminiscent of the classic 80’s and 90’s art of comics, such as “Batman: The Long Halloween.”  The duo actually had a portion of this series funded on KickStarter.com in March of 2012 with a total of $3036, surpassing their goal of $2000.  They used the money to complete the series which Image comics picked up a year later.  Now the story is a five-part mini-series with the first two issues out.  Issue No.3 will be on shelves on May 22.  For more information, visit your local comic vendors or imagecomics.com