Take a walk through a vineyard to raise awareness

By Katlin Sweeney

Features Editor

People who enjoy good food, wine and walking for a good cause should mark their calendars for the April 28.

The Our Nicholas Foundation (ONF), a local non-profit organization in Temecula that seeks to raise awareness for autism and raise funds for families and schools that need it, will be hosting their first “Walk in the Vines” event on April 28.

Walk in the Vines is a two-mile walk through Temecula Wine Country, where participants begin at Leoness Cellars Winery and get to experience the beauty of the vineyards up close. The walk is not intended to be competitive but just a way to have fun while raising awareness for autism. Those who do not feel they can complete the full two miles have the option of only walking one mile and then stopping to check out the winery while everyone else finishes. Participants also have the option of walking in a group to make the experience even more fun.

“If people form a team to walk with, 75 percent of the money raised by the team will go back to that child’s needs. Typically 100 percent of the money raised at these events goes back to the foundation hosting it. But for this walk, it’s up to the group to fundraise,” Our Nicholas Foundation co-founder, Kathy Anselmo said.

Despite the fact that the walk is hosted by a winery, all ages are allowed to participate in Walk in the Vines. For those who are below the legal drinking age, there will be vendors selling popcorn, muffins, cookies, gluten-free options and various other foods after they complete the walk. Children can also look forward to inflatable jumpers and face painters. People looking for more information about autism will be able to visit various booths that will be set up at the end of the walk as well.

Mark and Kathy Anselmo, whose son Nicholas was diagnosed on the autism spectrum at the age of two, started the Our Nicholas Foundation to help other families in the area that had children with autism. Mark and Kathy have successfully helped hundreds of families across the Southern California area and have garnered the support of their community by their efforts to raise awareness. They hope that the Walk in the Vines will be another route to helping autistic children receive the school supplies, help and understanding that they need.

“Nicholas has been our inspiration and motivation behind starting our foundation because when he was first diagnosed, there was little to no information and direction [for families like us]. So we thought that the least we could do was try to help people find direction, and maybe support and kind of create a family atmosphere,” Kathy Anselmo said. “But we don’t have all the answers. We’re not political, and only go by our own experiences. We just want to help things move forward rather than hinder the progress. We find the positive and go with that. I’m grateful for all of the people who try to learn about and work with our kids.”

Anselmo predicted that those participating in the Walk in the Vines should be done with their walk by noon, which gives them time to check out the Big Reds, a free wine tasting event that Leoness Cellars Winery is hosting shortly after the walk concludes. Mark, Kathy and their son Anthony, who also helps to raise awareness for autism, are very optimistic about Walk in the Vines and hope that the turnout will be tremendous.

“We have been enormously blessed because of the people and opportunities that help us to grow and help us to do what we originally planned when we first started the organization. People are becoming more aware and won’t judge as quickly. They’re giving a few more minutes to try to understand what these kids are trying to communicate. That has been our ultimate goal anyways,” Anselmo said.

The Walk in the Vines will take place at 9 a.m. on Sunday, April 28 at Leoness Winery, located at 38311 De Portola Rd. in Temecula, CA. Those walking should show up at 8 a.m. in order to register or check in. Interested participants can register before or on the day of the walk. Those who register for $12 online will receive a free race t-shirt. For more information or to register for Walk in the Vines, visit walkinthevinesforautism.org or ournicholasfoundation.org.