CSUSM is nation’s sixth-best college for first-generation students

By Melissa Martinez

News Editor

In April, CSU San Marcos was named the sixth best college for first-generation college students in the country by Thebestcolleges.org.

Through programs that focus on outreach towards first-generation college students, more colleges are finding ways to retain students as they complete their course work and earn their degree.

Along with Cornell, Trinity, Yale, Texas Tech and Colorado State University, CSU San Marcos provides multiple programs in aiding first-generation college students on the path to college and provides multiple resources to ensure student success through their academic career.

Among the many programs offered, CSU San Marcos provides guaranteed admission for students in the San Marcos Unified School District if they meet designated course and GPA requirements. Since 2006, the program has expanded and partnered with multiple local districts providing information and assistance to prospective first-generation students.

CSU San Marcos also provides the College Assistance Migrant Program (CAMP) for first-year students from migrant and seasonal farm worker backgrounds, the Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) for low-income students and parents who qualify, and TRiO Student Support Services (SSS) for students also from first-generation, low-income and disability backgrounds, all available to provide support services to ensure that students are both able to attend college and succeed by earning their degree.

“Without the support and guidance from EOP and other services, I don’t think my transition from high school to college would have been as smooth,” third year student Jennine Marquez said. “Being able to receive assistance from these programs has provided me with motivation to succeed in college and obtain my degree.”

Along with academic programs, CSU San Marcos also offers a faculty mentoring program, in which students are partnered one-to-one with a faculty member for advice and encouragement for academic support.

To read more about first-generation programs offered at the top six best colleges for first-generation students, please visit thebestcolleges.org/the-best-colleges-for-first-generation-college-students/.

To find out more about academic support for those who qualify, please visit csusm.edu.