Women’s soccer celebrates Homecoming with 3-2 win over Embry-Riddle

By Kyle Trembley

Playing in front of a large crowd of alumni and fans on homecoming day, #13-ranked Cougar women’s soccer defeated conference rival Embry-Riddle 2-0 at Mangrum Field on Saturday.

CSUSM improves to 9-1-5 on the year.  Embry-Riddle drops to 6-9-1.

It was a big contest between two conference rivals, and while the Cougars weren’t at their best, they were good enough to win.  CSUSM out-shot Embry-Riddle 18-6, and held a 10-0 corner kicks advantage.  The Eagles’ defense saved three balls off the back line, keeping the contest close.

But the Cougars did manage to get a pair of shots past, both in the first half.  In the 19th minute, Shelby Bush was taken down in the box and CSUSM was awarded a penalty kick.  Taylor Ziencina calmly finished the opportunity to put the Cougars up 1-0.

Less than 10 minutes later, Rachel Schulte found Lauren Johnson making a run down the center of the field.  Getting between defenders, Johnson loaded up and blasted a shot from about 20 yards out that rocketed past the keeper and into the back of the net.

The goal is Johnson’s 10th of the season, giving her sole possession of the CSUSM Women’s Soccer All-Time single-season scoring crown.

“It feels great,” said Johnson after the game.  “All the hard work is finally paying off.”

For Coach Ron Pulvers, while it wasn’t the prettiest win, it was certainly a big one, given that this was one of only two regular season games CSUSM will play against a conference opponent.

“The result is good, the process with which we got the result was not,” said Pulvers.  “But it’s good to be playing on homecoming in front of so many fans and get a win.”

CSUSM will play its final regular season game this Wednesday at home against Marymount.  The game starts at 3 p.m.