Students, staff celebrate civility on campus

By Katlin Sweeney

Features Editor

Avid campus members dedicated to CSUSM’s Civility Campaign were honored this past week at their annual end-of-the-year dinner.

The Civility & Exchange Celebration, which took place on April 30, presented awards to the students, staff and faculty members that embody the Campaign’s founding principles of care, respect and empathy.

The ceremony opened with a welcome by Civility and Exchange Outreach Specialist Sammi Carr, followed by student-made films about Civility’s purpose and presentations by key members of, and partners with, the Campaign.

Carr highlighted the fact that the National Conflict Resolution Center has been a crucial contributor to the success of Civility on campus, excitement radiating from both parties on the partnership that has emerged from their work on campus this year.

“It’s nothing short of remarkable how you’re changing this campus. We’re facing challenges in all aspects of our lives, and we’ve enjoyed working with you to address issues of incivility,” President of the National Conflict Resolution Center, Steve Dinkin, said.

Following presentations by Dinkin and Interim Vice President Lorena Meza, awards were presented by Marley Small, University Student Union Advisory Board Representative, and Floyd Lai, Associate Director of Multicultural Programs, to outstanding members of Civility.

“These actions occur every day, we just don’t always have the time to recognize them. That’s why it’s so important that we take the time to keep nominating and recognizing these people. We need to continue pursuing and promoting Civility on campus,” Lai said.

Throughout the year, students, staff and faculty nominated outstanding community members, or Civility Champions, for the possibility of being named Civility ICONS (Initiating Civil Opportunities Now) by the group’s review board. Out of more than 50 nominees, Civility selected 26 people to recognize at the Civility & Exchange Celebration as Civility Champions, and named eight people the Civility ICONS for 2012-2013.

The Civility Champions recognized on Tuesday night were Kyle Azcuna, Katelyn Campbell, Thomas Hagos, Andres Rodriguez, Sherri Soto, Maggie Uribe, Peter Vu, Jennie Goldman, Cheryl Long, Tim Sabatini, Sandra Sabatini, Kyle Duran, Dr. Annette Daoud and Dr. Pamela Kohlbry.

The 2012-2013 Civility ICONS were Emli Capili, Curtis Bovee, Maya Alvarez, Silverio Haro, Dr. Xuan Santos, Dr. Stephen Tsui and Dr. Karen McGurk.

The Civility & Exchange Celebration also honored pivotal Civility members like Dr. Laura de Ghetaldi, Marley Small, Matt Walsh, Robert Aiello-Hauser, Lisa Dickinson, Judy Sandmann and Tama Harper.

Greg Toya, Interim Associate Dean of Student Life and Leadership, closed the night, expressing optimism and excitement for the upcoming year.

Those interested in joining Civility in the fall or nominating someone for the Champion/ICON title can go to csusm.edu/civility/.