CSUSM Alternative Spring Break: ASI encourages students to volunteer for campus philanthropy organization

Above: Alison Oglive, ASB 2010 trip participant breaks up rocks to dig out a path for a sidewalk

By Devonne Edora

Photos courtesy of ASI CAB

Cal State San Marcos students looking for more than your average Cancun Spring Break may find Alternative Spring Break (ASB) the perfect choice.

For the past seven years Associated Students Inc, Campus Activities Board (ASI CAB) has coordinated and led the program, according to Sara Gallegos Director of ASI CAB and Marketing. Students interested are highly encouraged in being part of the ASB program.

Gallegos explains the concept of ASB, as an opportunity, “For students to attend a trip during their Spring Break week that is devoted to service,” adding that it is “not your typical spring break partying on the beach.” There are 9 available spots being offered to CSUSM students only. Students must fill out an application, available now in the ASI Business Office or online at http://www.csusm.edu/asi/cab/asb.html. The deadline to apply is Friday, Nov. 5, 2010. Applicants will be interviewed and chosen before the trip takes place on March 20 through 27, 2011. The participants chosen in the fall semester will learn about the social issues and projects that they will work through with Habitat for Humanity as well as the place they are visiting.

Megan Carlier, who was a participant last year, is now part of the student staff going on the trip this year to Washington D.C. Carlier, invites other students to go ahead and sign up for ASB. “ASB was the best trip I have been on. I went on the trip last year to New Orleans, LA, and couldn’t have asked for a better spring break. It [was] such a rewarding trip. You get a great experience, make new friends, and visit new places while helping others.”

This year’s trip to Washington D.C. will allow students to “get a chance to work with a great organization like Habitat for Humanity and help build new homes for those in need,” said Gallegos. “Along with working during the days at our home sites, we provide opportunities for the students to attend different activities at night to see what there is to see.  Even though it is a week of service, it still is Spring Break, so we still want to have fun.”

CSUSM is just one of the many universities nationwide that takes part in this service program, as it provides students more options considering what to do for their school breaks. Organizations like Habitat for Humanity have also benefited from such generous outpouring of support from students who have all contributed in making a difference. Megan Carlier said, “It is such a humbling and fun experience, and it makes you realize how truly lucky you are; that is something we all seem to forget now and then.”