Best and Worst Halloween Costumes 2010

As Halloween creeps up, so does the biggest dilemma of the season: what costume to wear?

To help out on your costume hunt, here is a listing of the best and worst costumes of 2010. Remember to start searching early; costume stores are usually ridiculously busy and cleaned out of most costumes the closer to Halloween you wait. No one wants to settle for a fake mustache and have to end up telling everyone you are Dr. Phil.

This year, the trends of 2010 are heavily influenced by the current entertainment business, mainly movies. Some are potential costume-contest winners, and others are downright frightening – in a very un-Halloween way.

6 Best Halloween Costumes of 2010

Lady Gaga

Avatar’s Na’vi

Jersey Shore Characters

Harry Potter Characters

Vampires/Twilight Characters

Alice in Wonderland Characters

Here’s Why:

Lady Gaga – Who doesn’t want an excuse to wear a blonde wig and no pants?

“Avatar’s” Na’vi – The film didn’t clean out the Academy Awards for nothing. If you’re thinking of going fantastical, there is nothing more supernaturally magical than being an electric blue humanoid from a different dimension.

“Jersey Shore” Characters – Dressing up as your favorite Guida/o is probably the best way to pay homage to the show we are all secretly – or not – obsessed with.

“Harry Potter” Character – Deep down inside, a lot of us are still waiting for our letters from Hogwarts. Shedding our muggle attire for one night helps us embody our inner witch and wizard.

Vampires and “Twilight” Characters – You read the books. You watched the movies. You have the soundtracks. You own a “Team Jacob/Edward” shirt. You are Twilight.

“Alice in Wonderland” Characters – Lewis Carroll’s story has been retold in so many different ways by so many different people, it’s only fair to have your say in the representation of literature’s wildest tea party.

6 Worst Halloween Costumes of 2010

Giant Baby

Darth Vader

Ethnicities

Lady Gaga’s Meat Dress

Male Crotch Outfits

“It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia’s” Greenman

Here’s Why Not:

Giant Baby – because they freak people out. Adults in diapers are very unattractive…and creepy.

Darth Vader – Because it’s hard being social with a mask on, and to take it off would defeat the purpose of even attempting to be old Darthy. Plus, you risk sounding like a smoker who has just conquered the Cesar Chavez plaza stairs on campus. Not hot.

A Black Person, when you are not – There is always someone every year at every party that somehow thinks it is a good idea to dress up as a black person even though they are not black. BAD IDEA, even if you do not mean it in an offensive way.

Lady Gaga’s Meat Dress – She might be popular, but forgetting this outfit will do the rest of the world a favor. Recreating the meat dress outfit Lady Gaga wore to the MTV’s 2010 VMAs this year is not only gross, but highly un-hygienic. You might as well wear fresh road kill.

The male crotch “outfits” – Whether it’s a horse peeking out from a stable saying “petting zoo” or a tossing ring game, it’s highly arrogant to think anyone will want to ride that pony after such a crude invitation. Ironically, these costumes are pricey (considering how little fabric is used).

Greenman – Famous from “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia,” the costume is an awkward green tight spandex unisex body suit that does not show your face. Its body-hugging form shows a little more than people would like to see and makes it hard to eat, drink, and be hit on.