Cougars span the globe in study abroad programs

CSUSM students in study abroad programs. Photo by Karen Mascarinas
Group of students international location

By Alison Seagle

CSUSM offers many opportunities for students to study abroad and explore a number of different languages and cultures.

One of the options that is being offered over the summer is traveling to Spain. Students like Neil French have benefitted tremendously from the program and highly recommend it.

“If you’re looking to learn another language this is the way to go. I learned more from one month in Spain than I did in six semesters in the United States,” French said.

Neil, along with approximately 20 CSUSM students and many other students from around the world, had the opportunity to study at the University of Valladolid. The courses they attended ranged from beginning to advanced Spanish, as well as Spanish culture and literature. Students spent four hours a day in classes, Monday through Friday, for four weeks. Though the coursework was intense the students learned much more than just what was taught in the classrooms.

“The experience of going abroad was one that I honestly can’t capture into words,” Jordan Taylor said. “To be so outside the bubble I thought was my comfort zone and step into a whole new world was as if I had gone from black and white to color. I truly believe going to a new country is the best way to invest your time.”

Besides the classes, students also had the opportunity to take excursions to nearby cities. Since Valladolid is well situated just a couple of hours northwest of Madrid in the Castilla y Leon region, students were able to visit Madrid, Segovia and Salamanca. The professors from the university provided tours of the cities with much information about the history and culture, and students were also able to use their free time in the cities exploring castles, museums and cathedrals.

Some students, like Karen Mascarinas, have transferred to other countries like the UK through Study Abroad but reflect on Spain as a life-changing experience.

“I grew so much as an individual while learning Spanish in Spain. I realized that I was a stronger person who was capable of things I would have never discovered before. It’s not all about the fun stuff […] it’s about finding yourself and where you see yourself in this world,” said Mascarinas.

Students who are interested in studying Spanish in Spain in the summer of 2014 should stop by the Office of Global Education in Craven 3200 to speak with the study abroad advisor, Tiffany Gabbard. More information about the program can also be found online at http://www.csusm.edu/global/studyabroad/valladolid.html.