Professor’s bias not a good fit on campus

By Letty Puentes

Contributor

CSUSM needs to acknowledge that nobody has the right to diminish the sexuality of another.

I became aware of social justice in my sophomore year of college. Prior to that, I had never heard of the term and was initially unsure if I understood the concept. I began to gather a clearer perspective when I heard stories from my peers about ways in which they had been hurt emotionally by comments made from others at CSUSM. Scarring remarks had come from peers, professors and administration on campus.

I had experienced such ignorance when a professor on campus had stated that bisexuality did not exist. This professor went on to explain that bisexuality was a mere stepping-stone towards becoming gay or lesbian. For a while I believed this professor. This professor had a Ph.D. and I did not, so I had taken this statement as fact.

It wasn’t until later that I realized that nobody has the right to question or diminish a person’s sexuality. That day in class, this professor had taught indifference to the students present. After dismissal, the students left the classroom and went into the real world with what they had learned, most likely spreading the pain that comes from such misconceptions. These misconceptions are hurtful to everyone, not only at the person that they are aimed at. Instances like this can be avoided if the knowledge of social justice was more readily shared on campus. Everyone at CSUSM should have social justice training, including all students, professors and faculty. I trust that if every person on campus were to attend social justice training, the university itself would become a true safe zone.