Campus Rec offers outdoor adventures year-round

Students in the mountains
CSUSM students pose for a photo on a trip to the Sierra Mountains.
Students in the mountains

By Alison Seagle

The campus recreation department’s goal this year is to plan a camping trip for students each month of the school year.

In September, students had the opportunity to go backpacking in the Sierra Mountains. The adventurous students left from campus early in the morning on Friday, Sept. 6. They got to spend the whole weekend hiking, camping and experiencing breathtaking views. They returned to campus Sunday evening.

The meals at the campsite were included with the trip. In addition to hiking, students also participated in activities led by the outdoor recreation staff. The $75 cost of the trip included the transportation, permits and camping fees and camping gear like tents, sleeping bags and cooking equipment.

The next trip campus recreation has planned is to Joshua Tree. There, students will not only hike and camp, but they will also be rock climbing. Actual rock climbing instructors will be there to show the Cougar campers the ropes. The trip will be taking place Oct. 4 through 6.

In November, Anza Borrego will be the last destination Cougars travel to for the fall semester. From Nov. 2 through 3, students will have the opportunity to do some desert camping and hiking.

The $45 fee will include transportation, food and camping equipment. Sign-ups for that trip will begin Oct. 14. These trips are planned for small groups of students, so the limited spots fill up quickly.

More information about these trips and other events can be found by visiting The Clarke or checking out the Campus Recreation website at http://www.csusm.edu/rec/index.html.