Chuck Allen: CSUSM tech by day, musician by night

Musician Chuck Allen
Musician Chuck Allen

By Katie Agner

Sometimes it’s better to live in the moment and take life one step at a time.

That is Chuck Allen’s philosophy. Nowadays, it’s all too easy to get tangled up in stress. It’s tough to balance time between class, work, and social life.

Musician Chuck Allen
Musician Chuck Allen

“The best thing about music is getting to push yourself,” Allen said. “You’re in a place where you’re completely not thinking, doing your thing in that moment. Modern life is so complicated. We’re always multitasking or getting distracted. I think doing one thing well is healthy for the mind.”

Allen is not an exclusive performer by any means, playing at clubs, private parties and even corporate events. He plays in many bands in San Diego, including, but not limited to: classic rock band Black Canyon and the jazz group Mirage. As a versatile musician, Allen plays a wide variety of instruments and style.

“I play whatever the gig needs me to play, whether it be classic rock, disco, funk, jazz, or Top 40,” he said.

While proficient with keys, guitars and drums, Allen’s specialty niche is bass and vocals. With at least five gigs a month, Allen has plenty of experience and a lot of opportunities to showcase his talents.

Allen got his start playing the organ when he was young, and then played in different bands in high school. Now, he has over thirty years of experience as a musician.

To any aspiring musicians, Allen recommends playing music that you like.

“You’ll get more out of what you like. If you play what you like, you’ll do it more and you won’t get bored,” he said. “The most important thing is to have fun. You have to be good at it, hard-working, and a talent element is definitely needed. Don’t be too hard on yourself, either. It’s easy to feel awkward in the beginning, but be easy on yourself. If you have the talent, you’ll get better.”

For a list of upcoming gigs and songs by Chuck Allen, visit his website at http://www.reverbnation.com/artist_2007888.