Marre and the surf club display excellence in and out of the water

A surf club member catches a wave.
A surf club member catches a wave. Photo by Matt Zamudio
A surf club member catches a wave.

By Jordan Brooks

The Surf Club does more than gather to share similar interests, but is always on the hunt for a National title by adding standout athletes to their team.

With a 2009 national title already under their belt, the Surf Club is looking to recapture their crown. CSUSM has been a perennial power every single year and has developed a surf team that represents character and dedication in and out of the water.

Kyle Marre is a prime example of this excellent character. Growing up in Carlsbad, Marre started surfing at the age of 11. His father and brother influenced his surf style at a young age. This has cultivated his surfing into a work of art, and he is now a fierce competitor for CSUSM in the NSSA collegiate division.

Marre finished the 2012/2013 season ranked 39 in the southwest division and won the Surf for the Sea contest.  Along with success in the collegiate arena, Marre has found success in the classroom. Graduating from Carlsbad High School in 2012, he achieved a 4.0 GPA, took honors classes and never received a “B.” Now he has a 3.97 GPA and has been on the Dean’s List both semesters he has attended CSUSM. Marre is the true definition of a student-athlete and strives to be the best in all of his activities.

In terms of this year, Marre is competing for his second year and hopes to push the team deeper in the post-season with his aerials and flawless style.

“I’m really stoked on the team this year and excited to start practicing to compete. With Dr. Puha running the team and Cienna Norton as captain, we are planning some practices to get ready and to bond as a team,” Marre said.

There are several returning surfers that are also familiar faces on the national scene, including Jason H’dez, Cienna Norton, Max Roseman and James Elkins. Tryouts were on Sept. 22, and “there was also a lot of talent at the tryout this year with Taylor Divine leading the way and a full new roster,” Marre stated.

With the first event of the season on Oct. 25 and 26 at Blacks Beach, the CSUSM Surf Team looks to open with a bang and contend on the national scene.