CSUSM student arrested in ‘sextortion’ case

web cam illustration
Anne Hall
A web cam photo illustration by Anne Hall
web cam illustration

By Katlin Sweeney

Editor in Chief

A CSUSM student from Temecula has been arrested for allegedly hacking into the webcams and computers of 30 to 150 women worldwide in what federal officials are calling a “sextortion” case.

Jared James Abrahams, 19, a second-year psychology major, could be facing up to two years in federal prison for crimes relating to filming women without their knowledge, according to an FBI report. He allegedly took nude photos ad videos of his victims and threatened to post the content online unless they sent him more nude images or they agreed to go on Skype for five minutes and do whatever he asked.

Abrahams did not respond to an email request for interview. University officials confirmed he is a student at CSUSM. They explained that the university’s policy involving students who have been arrested for crimes is that issues are handled by the Office of the Dean of Students. When they receive an incident report that there has been a violation of the Code of Conduct by a student, an investigation takes place. The process is in compliance with the CSU Executive Order 1073.

According to the FBI, Abrahams is suspected of gaining unauthorized access to computers owned by women in not only southern California and Maryland, but in other countries that are assumed to be Ireland, Canada, Russia and Moldova.

The case unveiled by the FBI and U.S. Attorney’s Office said that the investigation began in  March 2013, when an 18-year-old victim contacted authorities and they traced the unauthorized computer access to the suspect.  After searching Abrahams’ home in June with the help of a federal search warrant, authorities discovered hacking software and pictures/videos of some of the women he had allegedly blackmailed.

According to the complaint, the suspect used the domain name “cutefuzzypuppy” to infect various victims’ computers. That domain was later discovered to have been used on different hacker forums to ask others about how to use malware and hack webcams.

In a phone interview with The Cougar Chronicle on Oct. 8, the FBI reported that Abrahams was released on bond and his preliminary hearing is scheduled for Nov. 4. If convicted, Abrahams will serve up to two years in federal prison. Until then, he is presumed innocent until proven guilty by the court.