Soccer frosh Farfan hopes to follow brothers into pros

soccer player Louie Farfan
CSUSM soccer player Louie Farfan has two older brothers in the MLS.
soccer player Louie Farfan
CSUSM soccer player Louie Farfan has two older brothers in the MLS. Photo by Jesssamyn Trout

By Jen Hager

For the first time in program history, the men’s soccer team has reached the NAIA top 25, which is well deserved after years of hard work and determination put in by these dedicated athletes.

Coach Ron Pulvers accredits their success to not only their returning class, but also their strong incoming players this year.

One of those new players is Louie Farfan, a freshman Criminal Justice major.   Farfan, who chose CSUSM because of how close it is to his family, has contributed to the program’s success this year by being a force in the central midfield.  He is an aggressive player both offensively and defensively. He is exceptional at free kicks and aggressively taking on defenders. Farfan says he strives to, “keep the morale up on and off the field.” With a 8-3-2 record on the season, he is definitely doing just that.

Farfan’s older brothers both play in the MLS for Chivas USA and Philadelphia Union.  Farfan’s expectations are to play at the professional level as well.

“I’ve seen the professional atmosphere.  Watching my brothers firsthand makes me know how hard I have to work to get to where I want to be,” Farfan said.  His goals are to, “get better as a player and be able to play with high quality players that are better…and have had more experience.”

Staying busy with homework and soccer is definitely an understatement.  With a rigorous travel and class schedule, Farfan likes to draw and go fishing to take his mind off his hectic life.  Although dealing with chaotic scheduling is stressful, Farfan notes that his team makes it all worthwhile.

“My favorite part of being on the team would have to be the fact that every single person on the field has tremendous work ethic,” Farfan said.

View Comments (1)

• S

soccerOct 13, 2014 at 1:27 pm

If you intend to play soccer regularly, you must get your body into
    good if not excellent physical condition to play well and to prevent
    injury. Get the wildest selection of your world and choose your team.
    All these things teach you to enjoy a healthy game and a
    satisfied life as well.

Reply