Author to speak, steel drum concert planned this month

John Barell
John Barell

By Liezel Herradura

This November, CSUSM will be hosting the last two events of the Arts and Lectures series for the fall semester.

Thursday Nov. 14, former professor and renowned author John Barell will be the keynote speaker for “Developing Curious Minds…” – a lecture that aims to teach teachers how to inspire curiosity, creativity and higher forms of thinking in their students. Barell has said that his own motivation was inspired by his time in Alaska, sailing on the USS Glacier as a part of Operation Deep Freeze. His most recent works have included: Why Are School Buses Yellow (2008) and Did You Ever Wonder (2013). A book signing will be following the lecture.

Tuesday Nov. 19, ticket holders will be treated to a screening of the award-winning documentary “In the Panyard,” which depicts steel pan music and its abilities to bring generations, as well as different cultures together. Following the documentary, musician Keli Ross-Ma’u returns to CSUSM with his steel drum school, Kainga Music for a live concert.

Ross-Ma’u has stated that “in Trinidad, the steel pan brings whole neighborhoods together… I hope to bring through the sound of the steel drum, that communal feel to wherever I play.”

Tickets are required for entry to both of these events. As always, tickets online are free for all students who attend CSUSM, but are also available to staff and the community for a small fee. Tickets are going fast, and will not be sold at the door. More information is available on CSUSM’s website, including prices, and locations.