Downtown Escondido a hidden secret to explore

Cruisin Grand in Escondido
Cruisin’ Grand in Escondido

By Gloria Magallanes

CSUSM is located in a perfect area for students. There are great local places that are perfect to relax or simply hang out with friends.

One location that is great for such activity is the downtown part of Escondido and it has recently begun its reinvention after being abandoned by daily activity. It’s a long street containing antique shops, Italian restaurants, art galleries, museums, libraries and coffee shops.

Although this sounds alluring enough, it hasn’t been enough to attract maximum attention from local people and it began its downfall years ago. Although this has been a problem, downtown isn’t ready to give up just yet.

Escondido has begun the process of reinventing this part of the city by opening up more restaurants and art galleries. They recently opened up Maple Street Pedestrian Plaza, which citizens embraced nicely.

Downtown Escondido only seems to be occupied during spring and summer. It’s their busiest time of the year with people flocking in from every inch of the city. Every Friday, starting in April and ending in September, there is an activity called Cruisin’ Grand. People use this time to showcase and sell models of antique cars. The streets are filled with local citizens, old and young, enjoying the spring and summer nights.

People find it relaxing to walk and see a site that is regularly abandoned, full of activity and life. During this season the restaurants and coffee shops are open at different times and it gives people the opportunity to enjoy downtown. One of the many disadvantages of the local businesses in downtown is their opening hours. Some stores and coffee shops have odd hours that don’t allow customers to stop by whenever they please, checking the hours is something that is required.

The building and opening of new businesses, along with a new film school in the area, all seem promising for this abandoned yet charming street in Escondido. Students should take time to visit and enjoy some of the restaurants or art galleries in downtown whenever they have free time.

It’s not necessary to go far to find some originality and get some good coffee. Downtown Escondido is a place that deserves more recognition and more visitors, not only in the summer but year round. There’s hope in its reinvention and there are locals who are anxious to see what will become of it.