Lacrosse a family affair for attacker Dylan Perry

Lacrosse player Dylan Perry
Lacrosse player Dylan Perry. Photo by Corrina Babiash-Clark

Lacrosse player Dylan Perry

By Corrina Babiash-Clark

For Dylan Perry, an attacker for CSUSM men’s lacrosse team, the sport is a family affair. It was passed on to him and his younger brother by their father. The three of them would spend hours together after school playing the sport in the backyard.

Beyond that, lacrosse provided him with the opportunity to meet new people and gain new experiences. Perry, the club’s vice president, described it as similar to a fraternity in that way, and that is the message he would like to share with all the students on the CSUSM campus. The men’s lacrosse club here at CSUSM offers students a number of benefits.

“If you aren’t into the fraternity lifestyle, clubs in general is a way to get yourself out there and meet new people. The lacrosse club doesn’t turn anyone away even if they have never played. Our coach also wants us to be as much like a varsity sport as it can possibly be as a club level so we try to do everything the big time schools do. We have a weight program, lifting program, dieticians and nutritionists,” Perry said.

There are a number of clubs available at CSUSM, including both men’s and women’s club lacrosse. The men’s lacrosse club season begins on Feb. 2, with the first home game on Feb. 22. The team is hoping to improve upon last year’s 7-5 record so come out and support them in that effort. Contact information for the various campus clubs can be found online at www.csusm.edu/orgs/ or on the individual club websites.

So if you are interested, contact the president of the club and as Perry says, “just go for it.”