CSUSM athletics will be well represented in fall playoffs

CSUSMs womens volleyball is 11th in the nation.
CSUSM’s women’s volleyball is 11th in the nation.

By Shaina Pardo

As the fall seasons are coming to an end, the Cougars are all ending on a good note.

The teams have some big playoff expectations. Both the men’s and women’s cross country teams will be going to nationals. The men are currently ranked ninth in the NAIA. A couple of the men’s top runners are hurt but should be back to help their team beat the competition. Women’s cross country was ranked third, but lost to Biola and Masters, and dropped to sixth. The women are far from worried, due to the fact that their top four runners have been doing well. The conference championship will be held at CSUSM Nov. 9 at 9 a.m.

As for the women’s soccer team, they are currently ranked 23 and are the number two seed for the AII Tournament. Even though the ladies lost to Ashford in the Championship last year they still made the NAIA tournament and won the AII tournament in 2008, 2009 and 2011. The women are looking great this season and have won five of their last six games.

Men’s soccer had a solid season. They will most likely need to win the Conference tournament in order to make it to playoffs. The men were ranked two times this year and won the AII for the first time in 2011. The men will have to beat Ashford, Georgia Gwinnett and Lindenwood Belleville in order to make it to the playoffs.

The volleyball team has delivered a stellar season. Currently they are ranked 24 in the nation.  They are 22-11 and are currently the number one seed in the AII Conference Tournament. The women won the conference tournament the last two years and will be looking for the three peat.

Fall sports have done their part to make CSUSM stand out on the radar of collegiate athletics.