Faculty Profile: Dr. Laura de Ghetaldi

Dr. de Ghetaldi with student Katlin Sweeney

By Amanda Lenox

Editorial Assistant

Kinesiology professor Dr. Laura de Ghetaldi encourages students to outreach and be advocates for their own health.

When Professor de Ghetaldi attended a state convention in her field she met Dr. Ash Hayes, the recipient of a prestigious award. After introducing herself to Hayes, he asked for her business card and the next day she received a call from CSUSM to interview for a position.

Professor de Ghetaldi describes herself as a “people person.” She believes that “there is a one-degree of connectedness between all of us” and “that if you take the time to know someone, you will find something connecting you to them.”

Currently, Dr. de Ghetaldi is looking into and researching student food insecurities. She, along with her Kinesiology Majors Club students, distribute food every second and fourth week of the month. In the past year alone, they have given over 45,000 pounds of fresh fruit and vegetables to students and the San Marcos community.

“1 in 5 adults in North County and 1 in 4 children have hunger insecurities,” explained de Ghetaldi. She hopes to see the CSUSM food distribution become a model for all of the Cal State systems.

When asked what she likes most about teaching she said, “I’m still learning, I learn from my students” and “I’m honored to be a part of their education.”

She believes that teaching is the most honorable profession because it creates a ripple effect. She emphasizes that “whether it’s a child or a college student, your ability to learn is directly related to your own health and wellness.” When students take her classes she wants the students to “continue to love to learn.” In teaching health and wellness she hopes “individuals understand the importance of a healthy lifestyle.”

Dr. de Ghetaldi received her undergraduate degree and teaching credential, in K-12 Physical Education, at Cal State Chico. She received her Master’s degree at the University of Oregon where she studied Kinesiology, Physical Education and Adapted Physical Education. After, she went to the University of Arizona for her post-Master’s work in Exercise Physiology. She later moved to Colorado where she taught at the University of Colorado, Boulder for almost 20 years in Kinesiology and Education. She received her doctoral degree at the University of Northern Colorado in Education.

At CSUSM, she usually teaches Health and Drug Education (Kinesiology 405), Personal Health and Wellness (Health Science 200), Physical Education and Health Education (P.E. 203) and Exercise Nutrition (Kinesiology 336). She also teaches at the Temecula campus every fall semester.