Undefeated Cougars thrill sold-out crowd

Adam Eakles energizes the crowd early. Photo provided by CSUSM Athletics taken by Jessamyn Trout.
Adam Eakles throws down a slam to stat off the game.

By: Justin Donner

Sports Editor

The seats surrounding the court rumbled as a packed house came out to cheer on the men’s basketball team against Daemen College Saturday night.

It was the headliner for CSUSM’s homecoming week, and the team did not disappoint.

The Cougars maintained a healthy lead throughout the game. With 9:05 to play in the second quarter, CSUSM had a commanding 28 point lead. The Wildcats did not go down without a fight, and they closed the gap before losing to the Cougars 88-74.

Four of the Cougars’ starters scored in the double digits. Malcolm Lemmons led the Cougars with 20 points. Lemmons poured in a few key shots from behind the arc that sent the student section to their feet. D’End Parker played well both offensively and defensively, finishing the game with 14 points and six steals.

Bobby Macias was big off the bench and scored 15 for the Cougars in 25 minutes of game play. The 5’11” senior drives the lane in a way that leaves you feeling he is a foot taller than he really is. Macias and the entire team seem to mirror the energy and enthusiasm that Coach Saia brings to the court.

The Cougars let time run out on the clock during their last possession and the Cougar faithful erupted in the MiraCosta gymnasium. After the game, the team went over to personally thank their fans in the student section. Both the players and students celebrated the win together as the Cougars move to 4-0 on the season.

This is the first of many showings of Saia’s class-act team to the home crowd this year.