Wrestling at CSUSM

By Jennifer Hager 

Finding the right club to join in college is already hard enough, but what if none of the clubs offer something you are interested in?  You form one.

After about a year of extremely hard work, the wrestling club made their debut this semester. Their hard work and determination is what is going to make their club last.  For the first year of their existence, the wrestling club will not be competing. However, they will be practicing hard and trying to boost membership.

President Jordan Riding says their plan for the year is to “prove we can sustain ourselves and get more members.”

The club practices at least twice a week in the Clarke Fieldhouse using the mats provided, with plans to buy their own eventually. Club fees are just $50 per semester, so with 10 members, Riding said they would be able to do just that.  They also plan on competing in individual matches during the spring semester.

With no official coach, they act as each other’s personal trainers. The goal of the wrestling club is to be competing as a team by Fall 2014 with at least ten strong wrestlers. The team is willing to teach anyone who is willing to learn.  The club’s treasurer was the only female wrestler at her high school, and she is definitely looking for girls that are interested in learning more about the sport.

The team knows that having a successful club is an uphill battle, but they seem ready for the challenge

For more information about the team, contact Club President Jordan Riding at [email protected].