This Cougar does more than trot

Photo courtesy of Don Franken.
Photo courtesy of Don Franken.
Photo courtesy of Don Franken.

By Justin Donner 

Sports Editor 

The Pacific Marine Credit Union Oceanside Turkey Trot drew a record crowd of 10,000 runners and walkers this Thanksgiving.

It was a fun run for a good cause, and CSUSM was represented by a very familiar face.

The Cougar’s head cross country and track coach, Steve Scott, competed in the race. This member of the USA Track and Field Hall of Fame has run more sub-four minute miles than anyone else in history, the number being 136 to be exact. He also set a record that stood firm for 25 years with a mile time of 3:47.69.

Scott finished the five mile run this weekend with an impressive time of 20:25 at a 6:33 pace per mile. This was good enough to give him a 134 overall finish out of a massive amount of participants. Looks like he can still do more than just coach winning teams.

The Turkey Trot allows for its contestants to designate a portion of their entry fees to go towards supporting local non-profits or schools. A popular non-profit attracting more than 500 entrants was the Austin Bice Memorial Scholarship Fund. The Move Your Feet Before You Eat Foundation, which promotes physical activity among youth, is directly supported by the race as well.

With a record crowd for the Turkey Trot this year, a considerable amount of funds should go towards helping great causes.