Netflix Flick: Orange is the New Black

Photo courtesy of msmagazine.com.
Photo courtesy of msmagazine.com.
Photo courtesy of msmagazine.com.
Photo courtesy of msmagazine.com.

By Annalee Magrann 

With so many shows to choose from these days, it can be difficult to find the right one.

It truly is a commitment to sit down with a new show.  Luckily, Netflix created a new, alluring series entitled Orange is the New Black. Amongst other renowned Netflix-produced series like Arrested Development and House of Cards, Orange is the New Black does not disappoint. It premiered in July of this year, with all 13 episodes available at once. The show already made a huge buzz and has a large, dedicated fan base.

The series focuses on Piper Chapman (Taylor Schilling), a woman in her thirties with a seemingly perfect life in New York. She has a supportive fiancé (played by Jason Biggs) and a new business venture that is quickly taking off. This all changes, however, when Piper’s past catches up with her and she goes to prison due to a drug-related crime.

The series mainly focuses on Piper’s time in Litchfield Penitentiary and the women she meets there. With a misfit cast that includes an ex-lesbian lover, a super-religious meth addict, a vindictive Russian cook and more, the show is entertaining and addictive. Orange is the New Black successfully draws the viewer in with flashbacks, intellectual dialogue and intricate storylines. Because of its unique plot devices, the series is able to show what this experience can do to a person and how it changes them. It forces Piper to face the fears that she could otherwise avoid on the outside. Although Piper is not necessarily a likeable lead character, she certainly is a relatable one. It is almost refreshing to find a female anti-hero in this golden age of television. In fact, you find yourself being drawn to each cast character in one way or another.

The series has received phenomenal reviews and a second season will premiere in early 2014.  Orange is the New Black is a thoroughly engrossing show and its second season is one of the most anticipated series of 2014. I give it a 4.5 out of 5 paws!