SDBWD 02: “I’m your biggest fan. I’ll follow you until you love me.”

Photo courtesy of fashionmagazine.com.
Photo courtesy of fashionmagazine.com.
Photo courtesy of fashionmagazine.com.
Photo courtesy of fashionmagazine.com.

By Alex Maravillas 

Fashion Columnist 

I believe conceit and vanity are two different things.

In the words of Cher Horowitz from the 90’s movie Clueless, “I don’t rely on mirrors so I always take Polaroids.”

So in order to achieve full vanity, camera photos are a definite source of reassurance of an outfit. However if you do not have a Polaroid camera, do not worry. “OOTD-Selfies,” meaning “Outfit of the Day” are photos you could take of yourself during a game of dress-up from your closet. You’ll never know until you experiment if you have a really cute outfit. So when you believe you are developing a particular style for yourself or you just feel you are consistently wearing fresh outfits all throughout the week, you should take OOTD selfies. You can also upload them on social media for more instant gratification. For example, Instagram is a great social media to upload OOTD selfies because you can get multiple likes and compliments and that would definitely elevate your ego.

Fashion and music go hand in hand when you really think about it. In fashion runway shows, the music that plays helps the model get in sync and provides a certain expressive quality to the clothes that the models are wearing. Learning about other people’s subjective taste in music can help inspire people to research different genres of music to expand their horizons. This way of thinking is fuel for the creative process. Listen to different music, and you may never know that it could possibly spark creativity. Try not to limit yourself to one particular genre of music.

I met a girl from LA and she was wearing a thrifty/cool jacket with an amazing print that goes to CSUSM.

Hi! What is your name?

“Hi, my name is Lucia.”

So my first question is what kind of music do you listen to?

“I’m eclectic. So I like to listen to all kinds of music.”

That is so cool! So what are you wearing today?

“Today I am wearing, one of my favorite jackets, that I actually picked up for 5 bucks somewhere.”

Nice! Thank you Lucia.

SDBWD is here to help spark creativity for readers and also it works as a “paparazzi” to show spotlight on students here at CSUSM, who have interesting and unique style, music, and all around in everything.

I have an idea. I want my readers to use the hashtag #SDBWD on their twitter accounts and instagrams and post pictures of their #OOTD. I will soon select a person who used the hashtag #SDBWD and they will be soon featured in a future addition of the Cougar Chronicle.

SO, tweet #SDBWD @MARAVILLASX on twitter or on Instagram.  Follow me too @MARAVILLASX and on tumblr at sdbwdbyalexmaravillas.tumblr.com

View Comments (1)

• B

better soccer playerJul 16, 2014 at 3:16 pm

Hi there, I check your blog on a regular basis. Your humoristic style is awesome, keep doing what you’re
    doing!

Reply